Friday, January 16, 2009

These Mashed Potatoes Are So Creamy


Ok, so when I set up this blog I seriously considered a running sidebar feature that was to be titled: "Movie Quotes Only My Sister Will Get" but that seemed like it would take too much explanation in a post for a running feature. And only my sister would get it.



But because movie quotes have been so appropriate for so many things lately, I thought I'd run a little post about them. See, you may not know this, but the title of the post is actually a quote from the movie "While You Were Sleeping" with Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. My sister (and my whole family) and I use movie quotes as a sort of shorthand for commenting on daily life.


For instance, the quote above happens during a scene that is so typical of a big family dinner table-- there are four conversations happening, everyone taking part a little in each, and the mother happily commenting to herself on the mashed potatoes, trying to compliment the daughter who mashed them. Thus, "These mashed potatoes are so creamy" is shorthand in my family for "everyone is talking at once"-- especially if followed by the next line from the movie, which was "I never said Ceaser Romaro was Spanish, I said Ceaser Romaro was tall!"


Of course everyone uses Monty Python quotes as shorthand; my husband sums up all my research into healthy pregnancy and birth as "avoiding the 'machine that goes ping!''


All of which is to say, I am debuting the "Movie Quotes Only My Sister Will Get" sidebar feature anyway, because I like movie quotes and because it will be a fun thing for the fam. (Who are, I am fairly sure, the only folks reading this blog anyway.)


Enjoy!

Breanna

No comments: