
I have been reading a very interesting book over the last couple of days-- one of those books that, although I'm almost finished with it, I've already decided I'm going to start over again as soon as I read the last page. It's called Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life by Margaret Kim Peterson.
It's about what the author calls the "theology of housekeeping". She points out that a surprising amount of the Bible deals with what might be considered cosmic housework-- feeding the five thousand, the building and furnishing of heavenly houses, etc.--but the point I liked the best was that whatever Christ's command to feed the hungry and clothe the naked means, it also applies to the people living in our own houses. Therefore, every time we cook dinner or do the laundry, we are fulfilling part of the Gospel. Gives you a new inspiration to get the laundry folded, doesn't it?
She also compares the rhythm of household work to the rhythm of the Church Year, or the annual cycle of fasts and feasts that is observed by liturgical denominations and mostly not known/paid attention to by "evangelical" denominations. That is, we celebrate Christmas and Easter, but wouldn't know what Maundy Thursday was on a multiple choice quiz. Here is a Church Year chart, for those of you who don't have the nifty church history book I do:

"Season after Pentecost" is generally called "Ordinary Time" but this chart is different for some reason.
I have been thinking that there might be several advantages to following the Church Year, although of course it's not written anywhere in Scripture and so it's one of those optional things like whether or not to have an electric bass during the worship service. What I mean is that if you follow the Church Year at home, you have the experience of each day meaning something and reminding you of something about heaven-- you are feasting to celebrate one of Christ's victories or to anticipate the final one, or you are fasting to remember His sacrifice or because you miss Him in a way that won't be alleviated until you're in His physical presence at the end of time. You are constantly reminded that life has a spiritual dimension as well as a physical one.
Personally I think it might be kind of nice, not to do in any strict way, but to keep in mind generally... perhaps to change the colors of the centerpiece on the table to match the color of the part of the Church Year, or change the types of meals we fix to fit the fast/feast/ordinary season. To add onto your Bible study jubilant or mourning or steady psalms (there are some--how about the psalm where David compares himself to a weaned child?).
A lot of us do it anyway in a way; we cook special meals at Easter and Christmas and don't even remember that they are formally feasts; we know we're supposed to think a little somberly on Good Friday about the crucifixion; we sometimes put an Advent wreath on our tables.
What would constitute observance of the Church Year would be different (and optional) for everyone, just as observance of what a lot of evangelicals call "devotions" looks a lot different from the formal church practice of praying at certain pre-set hours. The point is to pray; the point of observing the Church Year would be to remember we're citizens of a different kingdom that runs on different time.
What say you? Is there a way that our homes can be distinctly Christian homes that doesn't just involve the hanging of certain plaques and the fact that we play Christian radio instead of the top 40 (if we do--I am a Christian radio heathen, I don't really like Christian music radio, but that's another post...)? Biblically a Christian home will look different because Christians look different. Our spiritual reality should be present in our physical reality, even if it's just praying before meals, but could it be more than just praying before meals?
I don't know if observing the Church Year is the best way to incorporate an awareness of the Kingdom into daily life, but it might be an interesting thing to try.
Happy Sunday,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment