Friday, February 20, 2009

So Why Don't I?

And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

-- 1 John 5:11-12

No, the verse doesn't have anything really to do with the post today, I just need to memorize it for Sunday School so I've put it everywhere I look at often (including the blog). :)

But I HAVE been thinking about the Providence of God lately; last night Miss Boo had another awesome night and woke up ONCE. As in, one time. All night long. In her own Big Girl Bed. I was so impressed. She even saved the Husband from being late for work by waking up for the morning at 5am, since he'd forgotten to set his alarm.

So, beyond "blankets are awesome", what have I learned? I've learned: why do I ever get into anything, even housework or baby care, without praying? Things go soooo much better when I remember to ask God to handle them. I mean, I have the omnipotent Ruler of the Universe available to me to talk to-- why do I try to do things by myself?

It's not overt rebellion, but it is subtle pride. I think to myself (subconsciously) something along the lines of, "it's just housework, I got this". When, of course, every breath is a gift and we never "get" anything by ourselves. One of my favorite psalms tells us to cast our cares on the Lord, but the reason it's my favorite is it says in the margin that another way to translate "cast" is "roll". As in, anything you have that's too heavy to lift, just push it in His direction and let Him take care of the thing that's too big for you.

It's humbling to admit that sometimes my daily work is too heavy to lift; but then it's comforting to reflect that I was never meant to wean my baby, or get through the laundry, or any of the things that seem so heavy and overwhelming, in my own strength. Very gently, by giving me victories, the Lord is teaching me to pray about the everyday, to recognize His providence in laundry, dishes, dusting, and diapers. If He cares when sparrows fall and sees to it that they have enough to eat, I guess I don' t need to feel silly asking Him to help me get a load of diapers washed (again).

Although I'm sure I will be buzzing around later today thinking I've got everything in hand, I'm going to try to remember that not only does doing my work in my own strength not work, but it's much more unpleasant than rolling my cares to the Lord and leaving them with Him.

Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: