Is anybody else getting tired of hearing "PASS THE STIMULUS OR THE SKY WILL FALL!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE FINE PRINT!"
Me too. So instead of pointing out that we're spending 1/8th of the amount of money on "the people" that we spent on "the banks" I thought I'd go less depressing and just talk about mending. And I am also considering stopping any news consumption, but I'm afraid I might miss an update on whether Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are talking to each other or not. (Blech!)
That's right, mending and beans, the two things I think will help us out of our Less-Than-Great Depression. (Of course there are actually more than two things; I just would be a lot more comfortable if I knew the whole country could cook up a decent mess of beans and set a patch.)
Here is a link to a Youtube video about how to mend a rip by hand with a blind seam. If you can do this, you can probably figure out how to fix other kinds of rips and how to put a patch over a hole you can't mend with a blind seam.
And about socks: I give you permission to use as rags the cotton, storebought socks that get holes in them. You can't darn them, because the fabric gets too thin and just rips again. But you CAN darn dark dress socks, and/or wool socks, as is demonstrated here. I found out the key to dark dress socks: embroidery floss. Much nicer than regular thread. Which makes one think: should I only buy darnable socks from now on? Hmm. (Don't think so. Cotton socks are still dang cheap. But maybe something to consider.)
Why bother mending, you may ask? Why not just go buy a new item of clothing? Well, aside from the fact that you're learning to make beans because we're talking a Depression here--even CBS News says so--it's a waste to take a perfectly good shirt and throw it away just for the sake of a little tear or a lost button. (I'm not talking to Steve here. Steve likes keeping dead shirts that don't have many shirt molecules left to them. To each his own; Steve does not need a course in clothing saving.) In short, take the $3 it would cost you to buy a new shirt and go buy some beans with it.
If I sound a little skeptical about whether the stimulus will help us or not, you have to forgive me; I can read history and it does seem to me that the last time we had a similar situation and fiddled with it--come to think of it, the last couple times were the two presidents PBO has been compared to, Carter and FDR, go figure--the fiddling made everything worse and the "downturn" lasted between 8-10 years depending on whose figures you take. So. I'm less than optimistic.
Anyhoo, I hope PBO and the stimulus do fix the economy and you can use your $3 to buy Twinkies instead of beans. But at least you'll look snazzy doing it, in your mended shirt. :)
Happy Mending,
Breanna
P.S.
Except for you, Steve-- you'll look snazzy in that shirt that can't be mended because there's not enough fabric left. You know the one I mean. :D
Me too. So instead of pointing out that we're spending 1/8th of the amount of money on "the people" that we spent on "the banks" I thought I'd go less depressing and just talk about mending. And I am also considering stopping any news consumption, but I'm afraid I might miss an update on whether Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are talking to each other or not. (Blech!)
That's right, mending and beans, the two things I think will help us out of our Less-Than-Great Depression. (Of course there are actually more than two things; I just would be a lot more comfortable if I knew the whole country could cook up a decent mess of beans and set a patch.)
Here is a link to a Youtube video about how to mend a rip by hand with a blind seam. If you can do this, you can probably figure out how to fix other kinds of rips and how to put a patch over a hole you can't mend with a blind seam.
And about socks: I give you permission to use as rags the cotton, storebought socks that get holes in them. You can't darn them, because the fabric gets too thin and just rips again. But you CAN darn dark dress socks, and/or wool socks, as is demonstrated here. I found out the key to dark dress socks: embroidery floss. Much nicer than regular thread. Which makes one think: should I only buy darnable socks from now on? Hmm. (Don't think so. Cotton socks are still dang cheap. But maybe something to consider.)
Why bother mending, you may ask? Why not just go buy a new item of clothing? Well, aside from the fact that you're learning to make beans because we're talking a Depression here--even CBS News says so--it's a waste to take a perfectly good shirt and throw it away just for the sake of a little tear or a lost button. (I'm not talking to Steve here. Steve likes keeping dead shirts that don't have many shirt molecules left to them. To each his own; Steve does not need a course in clothing saving.) In short, take the $3 it would cost you to buy a new shirt and go buy some beans with it.
If I sound a little skeptical about whether the stimulus will help us or not, you have to forgive me; I can read history and it does seem to me that the last time we had a similar situation and fiddled with it--come to think of it, the last couple times were the two presidents PBO has been compared to, Carter and FDR, go figure--the fiddling made everything worse and the "downturn" lasted between 8-10 years depending on whose figures you take. So. I'm less than optimistic.
Anyhoo, I hope PBO and the stimulus do fix the economy and you can use your $3 to buy Twinkies instead of beans. But at least you'll look snazzy doing it, in your mended shirt. :)
Happy Mending,
Breanna
P.S.
Except for you, Steve-- you'll look snazzy in that shirt that can't be mended because there's not enough fabric left. You know the one I mean. :D
1 comment:
I guess one of the Obama people was on the Sunday morning news shows today and slipped up and said "Spendulus Package" (see Foxnews.com). Oops!
Post a Comment