So, we don't watch much TV-- this is the nightly news because this a rare, indulgent night when the Husband is not home to keep me from talking to the news and arguing with it. Miss Boo is a bit distracted...
Our monthly grocery shopping worked out well last month. The hiccups were my underestimating how much dairy we consume (we should get a cow and graze it on the softball field behind the house), and overestimating our frozen vegetable/chicken/fish consumption. The consequence being that I didn't have to buy any meat except bacon this month, and no frozen veggies except broccoli. Wouldn't even have had to buy broccoli except that I've been craving it like mad. :)
The grand total for groceries for February (keeping in mind that it's effectively for 3 weeks only, since Miss Boo and Boychild and I will be spending a week at Grammy's while the Husband is on a business trip) was: $148.33. Yes, Virginia, shopping for a lot of things at the super Walmart, never deviating from the list, and not having to buy meat makes a big difference, as does having a pantry established that one can pull out of. (30 pounds of pinto beans, anyone? Taco night is never a problem somehow.)
Granted, these numbers will not be achievable when Miss Boo and Boychild are eating more (although Boychild has been increasing MY appetite quite a bit... the midwife told me not to worry about it and make sure that I get enough snacks), but I am still pretty impressed with how this works out, given that it's about a quarter of what we've figured our budget could actually handle as a grocery allowance. (We ran the percentage in Larry Burkett's budgeting for young couples book. We're geeks.)
I'm going to go eat some frugal potato soup now, and look smugly at the canned goods and potatoes that are still waiting to go in the pantry, and feel smart. :) Hope you all have as fun an evening!
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment