Thursday, March 26, 2009

I Want Chickens...

...but I'm not crazy. I realize that chicks who have to be under heat lamps, new babies, and ambitiously expanded gardens are silly things to put together. But next year, maybe I can get my chicks.

It's really the fault of Rhonda, a poetic Aussie blogger/housewife I've been reading lately who has a flock of "chooks" in her backyard and grows all her own vegetables, even pineapple (they can grow things in Australia that you can't grow in Montana). I have chicken envy from reading about her birds.

I figure if one house in the neighborhood can keep a pseudo-junkyard next to their garage and another house can have the contents of their basement strewn about their yard for six months, and still another mystery house can have a rooster secreted somewhere on the premises (I can hear him when we take walks) then I can have three or four hens for eggs and to eat the grasshoppers. I've got the coolest idea for a coop and "chicken tractor" (a little device they can scoot around the yard in, while being safe from hawks) and the tractor would make it so Padraig couldn't eat them. Although I'm pretty sure he would be afraid of them, like he is of crows and cats. (I have a neurotic dog.)

And yes, I know they poop. It'll be good for the compost pile. And I'll be able to keep it contained if they only go from the coop to the garden to the coop. But I'm not getting them this year, so why think about it?

Anyhow, my project for this spring is to have a baby and then oversee the planting of my garden, which the Husband is gamely offering to do as long as I tell him where to put things. He is an engineer, so he's also going to put in some stepping-stone paths and make a proper fence for me, so it ought to be a thing of beauty.

Miss Boo WAS teething yesterday, by the way; not one, but FOUR teeth were poking through her poor little gums. No wonder the kid was fussy. She had another up-and-down night last night, but finally settled down around 2am and slept until 5am. Then she woke up to see Daddy off to work and kindly consented to come snuggle in the big bed with me, patting my face and saying, "Mama, Mama, hmmmm," as though she was trying to put me back to sleep. We both ended up going back to sleep and woke up at the unheard-of time of 8:15. I haven't slept past 8 since... wow, since I was pregnant with Miss Boo. We were in an awesome mood this morning and ate cinnamon rolls.

Boychild has been kicking me--a lot--and putting on weight. I think he means to make me buy even more clothes. I cleaned out the thrift store's maternity section the other day; if he gets any bigger before he's born I may end up running around wearing a blanket with a hole cut in the middle for my head. I look really weird with a gigantic belly but not (hopefully) very gigantic arms or legs. I actually look fake.

This is getting to be a long post and it doesn't have any cute Miss Boo pics (sorry) so I should probably stop now.

Hope you all had as great a morning as I did,

Cheers,

Breanna

2 comments:

Steve said...

I'm sure I mentioned this before, But my aunt and uncle have a little coop in there back yard. The neighbors complained and filed against an "unlicensed poultry farm" in their back yard. Well the coup was small enough they got to keep it, but it wasn't the necessary 15 feet or so from the property line. So they had to move it like 5 feet over (and the posts were already set in concrete) (or maybe it's cement. or both. One of these days I'll sort it out and remember for Phil's sake) Anyway, just be sure to check what the rules are on that before things are set in stone.

Breanna said...

They'd be set in concrete, which is the hard stuff sidewalks are made of. If they were set in cement, which is the glue in concrete, they would have fallen over before it could harden. :)