Friday, September 3, 2010

I Can't Think of a Worse Idea



...than saying God told you to burn the Koran

Well, ok, I can think of some ideas that are worse, but I don't want to write them on this blog lest the guy come over here, read them, and decide to:

1. Ride a bike across a tightrope with no net

2. Let a pitbull lick peanut butter off his fingers

3. Throw mud at random people in restaurants

4. Start making claims to be a prophet

5. Utterly ruin the credibility of any Christian, anywhere, who is trying to build any kind of friendship or talk to any Muslim, ever.

Oh wait, maybe he's doing all those things already.  4 and 5 definitely have a familiar ring to them.

Would all the crazies please, please remember that Christ told us to love our enemies--yes, even the ones that persecute and kill us, He was talking about Rome--and pray for those who hate us?  Even if you define Muslims as enemies, you still are not allowed to hurt and insult them, because you self-identify as a Christian, and refusal to treat enemies that way is one of the defining characteristics of the faith.

See, we can't get around it.  We are supposed to love everyone, friends, enemies, everyone.  This doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do, or that you have to say that all religions are the same (they aren't).  It means you have to recognize that every person is created in the image of God, and so you don't get to despise any of them.

And from a practical standpoint, if I was a Muslim and considering converting to Christianity, why on earth would I do so after watching a crazy guy burn a Koran?  Do you think that watching an imam burn a few hundred Bibles would cause waves of doubt to go through our young people?  Did burning Beatles albums cause great revivals in the 60s?  Did burning books win Hitler any points?

Can I get a supporting call of "bull puckey" from the gallery, please?

Breanna

P.S.

For the record, I own a copy of the Koran in English and am slowly working my way through it, not because I ever intend to convert to Islam, but because I think it's silly not to have actually read the source document of a religion before trying to talk about it.  Otherwise you sound like people who make statments like "doesn't the Bible say the Earth is only 6,000 years old? somewhere on the first page?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BULL PUCKEY!

There. I back you.


Kindra