Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Thousand Ways To Please A Husband--By Cooking

This is a little old book I found on Google books (from 1917!):

A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband With Bettina's Best Recipies

You'll note Bettina has an Emergency Shelf, which I would simply call a pantry, and that she whips a quite credible pantry meal up on her first night home.  (Although I would not put pimento in my creamed tuna.  NB: don't call it creamed tuna.  Think of it as tuna casserole without the noodles and it'll seem more appealing eaten over toast.)

Her emergency shelf contains:

6 cans pimento
6 cans tuna
6 cans salmon
6 jars "dried beef" (jerky? something much grosser?)
12 cans corn
12 cans peas
6 cans string beans
6 cans deviled ham
6 cans tomatoes
6 pints pickles
6 pints olives
6 cans condensed milk
6 boxes "sweet wafers" (cookies? crackers? something in between?)
1 lb box salted codfish (ugh, it came in boxes?)
3 pkg marshmallows
3 cans mushrooms
2 pkg macaroni

While excusing you from the pimento, dried beef, and salted codfish, I do think this Emergency Shelf illustrates two things I have been saying for a while here: 1) Through most of history people put things by for a hard day.  2) You would do well to have a nice little pantry set up.

Overall I think Bettina's list is about right--there's protien here, seasonings, and vegetables.  I would probably include some dried beans, more pasta, and less codfish; but it's wise to have some sweet things on hand to fancy up meals on a difficult day (whether it's difficult because you lost a job, are stuck in a blizzard, or just because you're beat) and it's wise to store toothsome bits that can jazz up noodles or beans (i.e., mushrooms; I opt for salsa over pimento any time, but it was 1917 and the pimento was probably spendy).  I believe I'd put some jelly, peanut butter, nutella, and flour/baking supplies on my "Emergeny Shelf", but I think in 1917 Bettina probably could imagine neither the glories of nutella nor a world where everyone didn't keep flour in the house.

It won't get you through very long, but it's a whole lot better than nothing, and will at least ensure that you don't go out to eat if you don't want to.


Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: