Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ever Wonder...

Yeah yeah yeah.  I'll get back to posting pictures of cute kids in a minute.

But did you ever wonder why it seems like, when someone has NO IDEA what they're talking about, that they're ever so sure that they're right, but that people who have degrees in the subject are wrong?

Apparently there's a scientific study that seems to show (see Steve?  I linked this time, and said "seems" :D) that knowledge and confidence in your own infallibility are inversely related.

In other words, if you're pretty sure that you're right and that the rest of the world is part of a "conspiracy of silence", then odds are that you are, in fact, wrong.

So, whether it's the horrible Pearls (I link so you will recognize the Face of Evil should you run across it in an otherwise-harmless-appearing Bible study somewhere) or the vaccine-hating Jenny McCarthy (you sort of have to feel sorry for her after a while), their attitude suddenly makes sense.

Remember: if someone accuses you of being immoral for disagreeing with them, it's a red flag.

Cheers,

Breanna

1 comment:

Phil said...

"..knowledge and confidence in your own infallibility are inversely related..." I love that!! I'm going to have to use that as often as I can remember to.