Monday, May 17, 2010

Best Tamales Ever!

And very easy:

Best Tamales Ever (And They Go in a Crockpot!)

The only quibble I have with the recipie is the gal writing it says that it takes two hours to wrap the tamales.  Nuh-uh.  It took me about thirty minutes.  When trying to account for this discrepancy--either I have lightning fast hands ("My hands!  They are lethal!"  10 points for the one who can get that movie reference*) or the lady who invented the recipie tried to smear the masa harina dough onto the corn husk with a spoon.  Which I tried for exactly half of one crust, before deciding it was ridiculously hard to do that way.  After that I just grabbed handfuls of the stuff and rubbed it onto the corn husk with my fingers.  Less messy than you would think, actually.

So go.  Buy a bag of corn husks in the Hispanic section next time you are at the grocery store.  (I also recommend a jar of salsa verde, becuase... yum, these were good with salsa verde.)  Prep it in the morning and then amaze your company that night!  Rub some flour on your cheek and put your wrist to your forehead like the mother in those old Rice Krispie Treats commercials, where she'd pretend it took forever to put RKT's together (really using it as an excuse to hang out in the kitchen with nobody bothering her).  Clevah.

Tamales, salsa verde, a big green salad, and if you were REALLY feeling ambitious, you could whip up some Spanish rice and black beans.  Heck, while you're in the Hispanic section, get a package of Flan mix and fancy it up even further.  ("You mean you've never had Flan?  We love Flan!"  10 more points to the person who gets this reference**)

Chicken tamales
Salsa verde
Green salad
Spanish rice
Black beans
Iced Tea for adults, lemonade for children
Flan
Black coffee

There, I just planned your next company meal for you.

Cheers,

Breanna

* We all know it will be Kenny.
**...even though I think I was the one who told her about this line.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I can verify that they taste pretty good.