AKA, Pedialyte.
I needed to mix up a batch tonight due to overdosing on vitamin C with the kiddos.
(No, they didn't eat a whole bottle of vitamins. What happened was we switched brands of vitamins and Mama didn't notice that the new gummies are 500mg while the old ones were only 250mg apiece, so the kids got twice what they normally get. Which probably would have been fine, if they hadn't also both chugged 4 little cups of OJ with lunch. In case you didn't know, excess vitamin C gives you the poops. Nothing dangerous. But uncomfy.)
Anyway. Dehydration can literally be a killer, especially when you're talking about little kids, so if you have kids in your life, are around kids, or may someday be around kids, please memorize the formula below. It might really save a life. Also, Pedialyte is really expensive, particularly when you figure out that it's really pretty much sugar-water with a bit of soda. Here's the recipe from Aviva Jill Romm's book, Naturally Healthy Babies and Children:
8 oz water (warm or at room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons or more honey, sugar, or maple syrup.
Combine all ingredients.
That's it. I made a quadruple batch in my juice carafe. It tastes like slightly sweet water--you don't pick up on the baking soda and salt at all. If you really wanted to flavor it, you could, I guess, but the idea is to be super-gentle on the stomach. Don't give honey to kids under a year old, of course.
I'm serious about you memorizing it. Tape it inside your kitchen cupboard door, maybe, or onto your salt canister. You never know when you might need it--and you'll be wanting it sometime at 3am when everybody's puking and you can't leave them long enough to run to the store.
Now I should go to bed.
Cheers,
Breanna
2 comments:
Kind of a combo between "Creamy Tea" and "Jug Water", eh?
Baba
So effective was the Baba marketing that I still, to this day, insist there was some sort of dairy product in Creamy Tea. Because it WAS. Creamy. In my mind it is still delicious. And the mojo still works with my kids.
Post a Comment