Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Means School

I have the somewhat ego-inflating but also tricky problem of being the mama of a three-year-old who is bored by preschool.

You know, shapes and colors?  Circle time?  "Farmer-in-the-Dell"?


All that is so six months ago.  We are raring to go for numbers (of which she recognizes the numerals up to 10, which is tricky since it's a 1 AND a 0), letters (of which she has a suspicion that V is just A turned upside-down) and reading (of which I don't do enough, according to her).  She even suspects that Dora and Deigo might be patronizing her.

Buddy, meanwhile, is learning colors, but pretty much just would love to eat the tips off the markers.  (Non-toxic.  Every art supply that comes into this house has to be non-toxic and washable.  Sigh.)

Here is a picture Miss Boo drew and had me label.  It's a picture of Daddy (I didn't help draw it).  You  notice he has a mohawk.  However, she was very particular that we label his beard.  I don't know what the blob to the south of him is.

Here is another picture we made him, with a message Miss Boo composed and I wrote.  She chose the leaves from the yard and told me how to glue them on the paper  She's got an eye for size and color, doesn't she?

Here are her freehand pictures, with her own "writing" (see the pothooks and scribbles?  They say, "I love you Daddy, I really do" and "Good Morning, Eddie".)

I figure it's time to move to this book, since preschool has become blase.  I am using the preschool one still for Buddy, but Miss Boo looks at him pityingly.

Here's his book of choice.

Whaddya mean, I'm not supposed to suck on the marker caps?

"Letters, Mama, LETTERS!  I made LETTERS!"

Ah, October.  It's nice having school in my life again, a lovely excuse to go every year and buy new pens.  I missed it, when I realized I had graduated college but didn't have any children to buy for.  It's difficult, when you love notebooks and pens and hate scrapbooking, to come up with a reason to buy school supplies.

School aisle here we come, armed with the list from "What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know"!

Cheers,

Breanna

1 comment:

Phil said...

It must be working. Our little girl tells me to look out for crabs and snakes every time I head out for work...