Friday, April 30, 2010

Radical!

Ah, remember the 80s, when the cool kids said that?  Tubular.

Well it now appears that I'm a radical, in the old 60's sense of wearing beads and not shaving armpits.  Or something.  I fit the profile of "a radical homemaker".  Although I think they might be a bit surprised to know I vote Republican and think this is funny.

I keep waiting for my library to get the book, because I'm hesitant to spend money on it.  Because, you know, I'm cheap radical like that.

Cheers,

Breanna

P.S. Can anyone else tell if that's a dude or a chick on the cover of that book?  I honestly can't... which might be the point... but if so, wow.

BRT

2 comments:

Leila said...

I think it's a chick. But a very masculine looking chick!

I think something weird is going on with re-writing history here. Do people remember what 50s housewives were like? I knew some 60s housewives and very few had that glam, sort of pointless existence that people are always comparing with their new, meaningful existence. I think most worked hard and for many of the same reasons, and more -- for their families -- to make them a home!

It's interesting how things are coming back...

Breanna said...

Yeah, both of my grandmothers, who each taught me something of housewifery, were housewives in the 50s and 60s. Neither of them could you really describe as "glam", and I know they both worked their tails off.

One of my grandmothers lived at a remote railroad stop--I mean, three houses and the groceries had to come in on the train remote--and the other lived in rural Wyoming. I know neither of them were housewives because they didn't feel they could do anything else--they were just trying to take care of their families.

Same thing with me, except I happen to have a few more degrees. And that's just a matter of luck.