I don't have a picture because it would have been unsanitary to handle the camera as I was scrubbing the bathroom.
Let me tell you, you don't know what it's like to scrub a bathroom until you do it with a wiggly one-year-old strapped to your back and a curious toddler standing directly behind you the whole time. It gets done but... well, let's just say that it's gonna be a few years (like, when I can trust the small people in my house not to drink cleanser) before I attain to the Flylady's "swish the bathroom every morning after your morning shower" routine.
(Nope, I don't always get a morning shower, either.)
So last week, I was scrubbing the bathroom in the company of the afore-mentioned small people and also a curious, 73-pound black lab (because, hey, maybe I was going to make food magically appear in the bathtub or somesthing) when Miss Boo begins having The Mother of All Fits.
Now, she doesn't Fit often. And usually there are extenuating circumstances--vaccinations, no nap, being dragged up and down the aisles of a store, something. Not that we excuse Fits, I am just always surprised when they show up, because they're rare. It took a minute to figure out what had caused the Fit.
Miss Boo: I want to wash the toilet!
Me: (thinking, you can't be serious) How about the tub? Take your rag and wash the tub.
Miss Boo: NO! I want to wash the toilet!
Me: The toilet is yucky. Mommy has to wash the toilet, because it's too yucky for kids. How about the door? Want to wash the door? I'll squirt cleaner on it.
Miss Boo: NO! I want to wash the toilet! Let ME wash the toilet!
Me: (sternly, realizing that this is getting out of hand) That's naughty talk. You need to calm down.
Miss Boo: I DON'T WANT TO CALM DOWN! I'M MAD!
So we did the discipline thing, and it took ten minutes, during which time at least the toilet was clean. I thought this was an isolated incident--how many toddlers can there be in the world who desperately long to scrub the toilet? for longer than six minutes?-- when we had another fit today, as I was scrubbing the toilet again. This time she had the sense not to flail and yell to the point of needing a time out, but she did go stomping into her room, where I heard her muttering to the night light:
Miss Boo: I'm mad. I don't want to use my words. I want to wash. I want to wash the toilet. I don't
want to use my words!
Couldn't quite figure out how to break it to her that she was, in fact, using her words. So we rocked in the rocking chair until she conked out instead, and now she is sleeping, and at least I have a clean toilet.
And a toddler who uses words to explain she doesn't want to use words. Sigh.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment