... though no cute baby pics today. We've all got snotty noses today anyway and are less than cute. Maybe tomorrow. Today I'm too much on fire with a "see! see! I told you!" to take pictures.
(If you don't want a rant, please click on a link in the sidebar to the "Like Mother, Like Daughter" link where Leila will tell you how to get free fabric, and thank you for your support.)
So. I was over at Fox News today and I note two stories which I think compliment each other like bookends, this one and this one (you can view the video in question from Fox's homepage). The stories, in case you are too lazy to go and read them, involve twin scandals which will probably die the death of the unreported-on-CNN scandal: the forced resignation of a National Endowments for the Arts director who "encouraged" artists to produce works supportive of PBO's policies, and the video tape made by an "unnamed individual" in a public first-grade class of students chanting, among other things, "hooray Mr. President". May I just say see, see, and I told you so.
Let's be very generous, exceedingly and perhaps even stupidly generous, and say that the administration had nothing whatever to do with either of these little scandals. Even if PBO himself and his policymakers are pure as my rich creamery butter is always claiming to be, this is a dangerous example of what his supporters are capable of. Schoolchildren having to learn political fight songs and artists being commissioned to produce works of art designed to stir the stupid populace in the right direction strike me as, I dunno, eerie? condescending? Maoist?
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. If anyone was going to be able to maintain a conspiracy, it wouldn't be the federal government. These are the geniuses, after all, who pay $300 for a toilet seat and who can't see anything absurd about spending $4 billion on "efficient" healthcare when we currently spend $2.5 billion on "inefficient" healthcare. So I don't think that this is all part of a sinister plan to make us throw up flat-handed salutes whenever we see a picture of the PBO. But I do think it's a troubling sign of the times we live in. I have some advice to dispense:
Don't swallow anything if you're not sure it's fit to eat. This includes things on CNN.
Don't believe the economy is good, bad, or indifferent if your own experience says otherwise.
Wash your hands. (Swine flu is real.)
Get your orders in early for your velvet PBO calendar--they'll go like hotcakes.
And please, please, put everything you hear and see through a critical filter (including stuff on this blog). We all of us make mistakes; some of us are trying deliberately to trick you. Oh, and you may want to unexpectedly drop in on your kid's schoolroom this fall.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment