Exhibit A: A "Budget Menu" for one week from the 1940s:
Exhibit B: A book from 1919 called "A Thousand Ways To Please Your Husband" (It's about cooking, you bad person.) Actually this is just a cute picture I found, here is the link to the book. (The whole book! For free!)
I find that people in past decades may not have eaten as much meat and may have had things like "frizzled beef on toast rounds" for breakfast, but wow did they have a lot of dessert. Serve hot breads and a dessert with each meal, apparently, and everyone eats less of the spendy protien. It's worth thinking about, as I contemplate the meat still left in my freezer that I need to use up before our beef goes to slaughter.
(I know. I'm closer to the source of my meat than most people, and possibly quite callous. But our beef does go to slaughter next week, which means I have three weeks to use/give away the remaining beef from last year.)
I need to use up yet: a tongue, a heart, about fifteen pounds of burger, two packages of short ribs, a prime rib roast, and numerous lumpy and unweildly packages of "boiling beef" which sounds atrocious and looks like dog bones but which makes the best. stew. ever.
As I am planning on foisting this bounty off on unsuspecting relatives and possibly the neighbors, I can't help but think about how long the people in exhibits A and B would have made this last. Wow again, and I feel like someone has been lecturing me about starving children and how they'd be happy to have my dog bones/boiling beef.
(I am trying to stop saying "dang" because Miss Boo yesterday admonished her brother "Dang, baby!" This is unsettling from the mouth of a not-even-two-year-old, but at the same time made me glad I don't say anything stronger.)
So enjoy-- and should you desire to make use of the resources, please do. They are free.
Cheers,
Breanna
1 comment:
That dang, Purple boy! thinks he can holler all day long!
-Kindra
Post a Comment