Ever get a piece of a song stuck in your head on a loop? I keep hearing:
"So we talked about some old times,
And we drank ourselves some beer,
Still crazy after all these years."
only with "pregnant" where "crazy" is.
Well, it feels like years.
And beer would make this more fun, but I can't have any, so I'm moodily drinking my healthy water and eating healthy fruit and such and wishing I could be un-conscientious without being a bad mommy. Oh well. I'll drink Good Coffee again one of these days.
It's that time in the pregnancy when you wake up every day thinking, "Well, it probably won't be today, but on the other hand it might, so I suppose I ought to paint my toenails/wash the laundry/make sure there are diapers just in case." After a week of just in case, everything is done and you're reduced to, "so I suppose I should really watch the last hour of that DVD, just in case." It IS a motivator to keep up with your housework, thinking that you might be leaving in a hurry to have other people wandering around poking through your cupboards for diaper cream.
I've wondered if this is the kind of thing Christ was talking about when He mentions that a bunch of things that will happen near the end of time are only "the beginning of birth pangs". As in, they are the "is it? isn't it? what should we be doing?" phase, but of cosmic significance. And they will motivate us to keep up with our spiritual housekeeping, so to speak; maybe that's what it means when the Bible says to be sober and watch for Christ's coming. ("It could be today. I should paint my toenails." Et cetera. ;D)
I don't know why I'm ever surprised when Scripture's comparisons are apt, but this one is pretty dang apt. (The same with the thing in Isaiah about false beliefs being like a bed that's too short to stretch out on or a blanket that you can't wrap all the way around yourself. Is there a better picture of frustration?)
ANYWAY, I just wanted to let ya'll know nothing exciting is happening yet, but at least I will never look at Matthew 24 quite the same way again.
Hope everyone's having a happy Friday,
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment