Despite coming from a line of excellent pie makers, I have always had trouble with pie crust. It's possibly due to this illogical feeling I have that I ought to be able to just know how to make crust without having to study it, like I can use the Baking Force and ooze knowledge out of my fingertips.
Anyway having discovered that the storebought crust down here is vile and reasoning that if ladies with a fourth-grade education back in the day could make crust than surely I can, I set my face to learn crusts this year for Thanksgiving.
I used this guy's recipe. (I admit, mostly because I found the fact of his hairy arms in the how-to pictures hysterically funny.) Only I used lard instead of butter and after trying it once I didn't mess around with rolling the dough inside a ziploc bag. (My pie plates are too big for that.)
It worked! The pies look great. (Well, the crusts look great. I'll take a picture when I fill them.)
The only downside is that using lard makes the dog really, really interested in the pie making process.
So at the moment I am thankful for: people who invented pie, and then wrote it down.
Cheers,
Breanna
Anyway having discovered that the storebought crust down here is vile and reasoning that if ladies with a fourth-grade education back in the day could make crust than surely I can, I set my face to learn crusts this year for Thanksgiving.
I used this guy's recipe. (I admit, mostly because I found the fact of his hairy arms in the how-to pictures hysterically funny.) Only I used lard instead of butter and after trying it once I didn't mess around with rolling the dough inside a ziploc bag. (My pie plates are too big for that.)
It worked! The pies look great. (Well, the crusts look great. I'll take a picture when I fill them.)
The only downside is that using lard makes the dog really, really interested in the pie making process.
So at the moment I am thankful for: people who invented pie, and then wrote it down.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment