...can't help but yell "Go! Go! USA!"
Ian Drake is one of the commentators on ESPN's coverage of the World Cup. You should have heard the snide in his voice during the US/UK game, so he's not exactly on our side unconditionally. But the heartstopper last-minute goal against Algeria showed up clearly that "special Anglo-American relationship" that Mr. Churchill was wont to go on about.
And may I just say how proud I am of our boys? I'm not that into soccer--although the World Cup has been treating me to some pretty great games lately, did you SEE Italy lose to Slovakia? wow--but if America's going to compete on a world stage, of course I want us to win.
Despite getting a goal stolen from them earlier in the tournament, and again in the Algeria game, the American team refuses to complain and see themselves as victims. In the words of Landon Donovan, the player who scored the last minute goal, "You can moan about it or you can get something done. We embody the spirit of America and that's what we did."
We probably won't advance too much further, but the U.S. hasn't won a game 3 (this game against Algeria) since 1930. So I'm actually feeling a glimmer of hope that we might just surprise everyone yet.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment