Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Plant (and Other) Babies

Well, the plant babies on my windowsill are getting along, though the bok choi and the jalapeno peppers seem to be developmentally challenged.  I begin to think I'll be raising them in pots, or bubbles, like John Travolta in that old movie where he dies in the end.  (Not Carrie.  The other one.  The one where you're supposed to feel bad for him, but really you're just like: so, was the experience of high school worth death, when honestly most people spend their adulthood trying to forget high school?  Didn't think so.  Should have listened to your overprotective mother!)
See what I mean about the peppers (on the left)?  The tomatoes are going great guns.  You'd think the peppers could learn from their example.

My tiny herb garden is producing already and has flavored a few dishes--mostly the oregeno, which you can't see in this shot, but which is growing exhuberantly.

It took me four tries to get this shot of Brother playing with Miss Boo on his bed, because...
...of this: "Take a picture of MEEEE Mama!"

"I am taking a picture of you."
"Argheahgh!  It's gonna be bright for me!"
And she hides.  Sigh.

A rare dual coloring session where the boy isn't eating crayons.

Art requires a sort of bohemian approach to where you color.  If the art demands the kitchen floor, well, then you've got to color on the kitchen floor!

"For ME, Mama?"  (I was offering her a magnetic number six, I believe.)
He's actually graduated from this chair to a booster seat, and Miss Boo has graduated to a big girl (i.e., a normal) chair.  And Brother has been eating with a fork for a few days now, and eating much better than he did when required to pick things up with his "fingas".  Sigh.  They grow up so fast.



For those of you who wonder what I'm on about when I tell you (over and over) to plan meals, and who think "ah, I don't know how/don't have time/can't think of anything" - well, here.  The Women's Day June Menu Plan and Shopping Lists.  I don't know that I would save any money doing their menu, but if you're eating out four times a week (that's the American average!) you sure would save doing this.  You'll notice they do one each month.  The meals feed four; if two of your four are toddlers (like me) this means essentially you need to cook for two and a half; one and a half servings left of stuff makes a nice lunch the next day, which eliminates the need to buy a burger at work.  (No, your coworkers won't look at you funny for bringing leftovers.  They're too busy worrying that you're looking at them funny because they decided to boldly declare their political opinion on a coffee mug.)

There, that's your last excuse gone.  Go thee forth and plan menus.

Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: