Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back on the Wagon

TB Player: In your patience possess ye your souls.
Lenny: Huh? What? When will the record be ready?
Uncle Bob: A week from Thursday.
--That Thing You Do!

So you'll remember that a while ago I asked you all to yell at me if I fell off my "Stop Looking Four Months Pregnant" diet/exercise plan. You couldn't, because I cleverly didn't tell you that I basically stopped exercising (except for a lot of extra housework) for like three weeks, between company and general "I'm-having-a-busy-day-so-I-think-laundry-counts-as-exercise" days. I ALSO felt the need to partake of goodies I made for said company. I'd have gained a bunch of weight if it wasn't for this guy

who fortunately decided to have a couple of growth spurts that at least held me steady. However, I stopped losing weight and I broke my newly-formed habit of exercise, which is not acceptable. Let the yelling commence.

Anyhow, after contemplating the pan of cinnamon rolls I made on Sunday, of which Miss Boo and I consumed at least half (and look at her, she's not that big, how much could she have possibly eaten?)

I decided to get back on track. So yesterday we went for a brisk walk with Miss Boo in the stroller, Brother in the sling, and myself schlepping as fast as was comfortable on my foot. Today I think I'll need to do an exercise DVD, since it's forest-fire smoky out. (By the way, notice what she's sleeping with? A book. Most kids like to sleep with cuddly animals. It must be genetic... I remember finding The Wishsong of Shannara tangled in my covers at about age 12.)


I also told myself that I could have as much as I wanted of anything healthy, but of unhealthy stuff I could have One. So in other words, One cinnamon roll, One cup of coffee with half & half, One...fill in the blank. Amazing how much more you savor something when you only get one! I let myself have as much black coffee as I wanted however.

I think it might have made my hands a bit shaky. Perhaps I'll have to cut back on that as well, once I've got my other cravings under control.


This is the book I've been reading lately, and it's very good. (It's not spiral bound, there's a notebook underneath it.) It's a Catholic book, hence the Rosary on the cover, but there's a lot of good stuff in there for Protestants as well. It basically suggests you start out by figuring out God's revealed purposes for you, just like people in religious vocations do, because, after all, motherhood IS a religious vocation. Then, once you know what He wants you to do, shape your time around that, down to when to wipe up that gross area behind the toilet. (Do all things to the glory of God, you know. It may sound silly, but He can so be glorified by keeping that gross area wiped up. Somebody's got to wipe it up. Maybe you're the person who can do it with the cheerfulest attitude, eh?)


I like that the book suggests you first decide where in your schedule you're going to have time for daily prayer, even if it's only five minutes. And I like that it takes more into account when planning the use of time than just whether you get the laundry washed and put away on the same day.


So maybe, with the help of this book, I'll be able to exercise every day this week, like I want to. We'll see, and I'll try to keep you informed.


Cheers,


Breanna


P.S.
Happy Birthday, Baba!

No comments: