We've used the potty chair twice now and are beginning to wrap our minds around the concept "Go potty? TELL Mama!"
We've had, by the grace of God, a fairly productive garden this year, and the tsunami is buidling as we speak. The flowers are almost all blooming, which means I can usually have one on the table... ...and this basket of peas and lettuce, and the quart of raspberries, would be less impressive if they had actually made a dent in what's out there to be picked. The beans are almost ready to pick, the squash is all blooming, and the tomato plants are already getting heavy with green tomatoes. The onions have flourished from little spindly-looking sickly thread things to big, fat, onion-looking things. I have more radishes than I can possibly use. The carrots are beginning to assert themselves. The turnips are holding their own valiantly against a creeper I keep weeding and weeding and the peas are taking their revenge by twining around the creeper and choking it out. The spinach needs to be all picked outright and frozen. Rhubarb likewise. I'm afraid, looking at the apple trees bend under the weight of their apples, that if we have too heavy a windstorm before the apples are ripe that they'll break branches.
I also have currants. Not enough to make jelly. I'm tempted to make a couple of bottles of wine or cordial or something. What do you think? Shall I become a bootlegger?
Since it might be a hard winter by all accounts, I praise God for giving us all this food to put up. Now I've just got to actually get it all put up. Anybody want to rent a couple of children for a day or so, but stay in my living room while you enjoy them and I chop/peel/can/freeze/ferment? I can almost promise one of them will be happy to sit nakedly on a potty chair the whole time, and the other will burble spit bubbles at you from a blankie on the floor. Guess which is which.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment