I don't have as many pictures as I probably should, but here, the ones I do have.
We went to the little local museum here, the Four Rivers Cultural Center, which has a nice set of displays/dioramas on the region's various cultures (there were the Paiute tribes, the miners/farmers/cowboys both of European and Hispanic descent, the Basque sheepherders, and the Americans of Japanese descent who came here during WWII to work in the onion fields and fruit orchards, as a way of proving to the government they weren't spies--more of this anon).
 |
| Out front they have an armed services memorial with an eagle on top. The kids thought it was cool and did their own eagle impression. (Note: you are supposed to walk around up close to it, we weren't being disrespectful.) (Second note: Bud is hiding to the left.) |
 |
| Slightly more successful eagles. Bud wants it known that he was hiding "like an Indian". |
Inside the center we watched a brief video that set up the exhibits we were about to see, in case we were too lazy to read the plaques, I guess. The kids were most impressed with the parts of the dioramas that showed various houses--the Paiute wigwam, the Basque sheepherder's tent (with his cute little camp stove--I remember REALLY wanting a sheepherder's wagon when I was little), and the reproduction tarpaper shack from the Japanese internment camp, which you could walk around in.
 |
| You could also walk through this pipe from the Owyhee Dam, which I guess, at the time it was built, was the tallest dam in the world. |
The internment camp exhibit was very well done, with a lot of donations from families that still live in the area and narration from a lady who was four or five years old when her family went to the camp. The kids were pretty horrified by the injustice of it all, although the tiny stove in the interment camp shack had the same charm for them as the tiny stove in the sheepherder's wagon. We are all about tiny stoves, apparently.
 |
| Sitting on a bench in the Japanese garden, trying to look like we're thinking deep and solemn thoughts. |
The center has a little Japanese garden out back, which we walked through before the exhibits--because we are wiggly people--and also after the exhibits, because we felt the need to show some love to Japanese Americans at that point. Also there was a koi pond and we had to tell the fish hello and goodbye.
Oh, and I got fed up and cut my hair.
 |
| Myself. Ever since the great poodle-ear incident of 2013 I don't do salons. Saves money. Makes me less liable to swear at stylists. |
Other highlights of the weekend include Sasquatch earnestly informing me that licking is better than washing faces, and Bud whispering in my ear in church "I think I'm starting to be in love with someone" about a girl in the row behind us (sixth grader, glamorous).
We have also been fighting high blood sugars with Bud for about the last 24 hours, I think because another growth spurt is hitting us like a Mack truck. It's super annoying, but we're going to see the endocrinologist on Wednesday (on Bud's birthday--luckily he thinks this is fine because we can eat at Buffalo Wild Wings afterward). Maybe pray that we get things sorted?
Cheers,
Breannna
No comments:
Post a Comment