Thursday, April 7, 2016

Life in the Banana Belt

....not really.  Not for people who are used to real, actual heat.  But for me, it's weird for it to be 80 degrees in April.  Nigh-on witchcraft, that.

So I weeded the flower beds today, which, because it's been so warm, was a big endeavor--the weeds had gotten giant overnight.  Now my fingertips hurt.

I do find that working in the garden is nice, in a contemplative kind of way.  You can let your mind wander and think about all kinds of things, until it's sharply brought back to the present when you find a tiny, white, picked-clean bird skull hidden among the flowering ground cover.

(I don't know what happened to the rest of the bird.)

Anyway, tomorrow we're going to plant the vegetable garden, so I'm trying to let my fingertips recover a bit.  I will just report Sasquatch's theory of bugs:

1) Mayflies are really called "Stangflies".
2) You can tell a daddy centipede because it's smaller than a kid centipede.
3) All worms like being underneath rocks.  They like it best if you squish the rock down hard, so they can be "cozy in their home".
4) You can tell a mayfly from a stangfly because mayflies have 44 feet, and stangflies have 63 feet.
5) It's the mother mosquitoes that drink blood.  And they don't drink the blood of other mothers.  Therefore, in a stunning matriarchal twist, I am immune but not my children.  I probably set this up with the mosquito mothers in advance.  Bwaha, ha ha ha ha, etc.

Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: