Monday, October 10, 2011

Not Throwing A Fit

No, I haven't really got anything to throw a fit about.  I just spent some of yesterday in a vaguely irritated and pouty mode, which required me to concentrate on obeying the Lord, aka Not Throwing A Fit.

Because it would have been nice to throw a fit, honestly.  It would have felt good (for a minute) and it would have given me the backward satisfaction of making everyone else upset, too.

But it would have wrecked my reputation as someone who is Coping Well, not to mention that the Lord, although He gives us lots of options if we're not feeling happy, does not approve of us throwing fits.

So instead of Throwing A Fit I'm trying to deal with the situation by planning.  It's going to be me and the kiddos for at least three out of five dinners this week.  I could make them fun.  I could also, by trying to get to the park where we feed the ducks, ensure that the kids are worn out enough to go to bed shortly after, and then I might be able to knit in the evening.

Planning, and singing Scripture songs in my head mixed with ridiculous things like Backyardigans tunes and the "Can't Hug Every Cat" song I played for you on Friday whenever I get on a pouty loop in my thinking.  Whatever works, right?

(And I should point out that it isn't that I have so many more opportunities for self-denial than your average mommy.  I'm pretty sure that no matter where I live or what we have or who I have to deal with, I would still be tempted on a regular basis to Throw A Fit.  We all are--it's our basic human reaction to things we don't like.)

What tempts you to Throw A Fit?

Cheers,

Breanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What Tempts Me to Throw a Fit:

1)Messy house

2)Dr.'s appointments

3)Overly inquisitive children (if I'm honest)

What do I have today? All of the above. Here's to not being a quaddy baby!

Kindra