Packing was hectic. It seemed like often Mama was the only one awake.
Come to think of it, perhaps that wasn't just my imagination. (We are discovering that, this far South, those footie jammies have fewer applications.)
("Me? Do something? I wasn't doing anything. I was just laying here...")
("...watching while the kids did that... surely the packers will put all those things in logical places?")
Item: the professional packers did indeed pack professionally, but they are, for the record, less logical than Pat-pat.
Driving through Montana, where the scenery looks like this:
We looked our fill, because we knew we were going to have to go through Kansas, where the scenery looks like this:
It's a good state to have a Kindle in. (Sorry, Kansas. I appreciate the wheat and all, but you have to admit that you're a difficult state to drive through.)
A blurry picture of just-leaving-the-hotel. Boy we got tired of the car. Especially since Miss Boo puked during the first 12 hours, and we had to attempt to clean the carseat with wipies. In case you are curious, wipies do not clean puke off of carseats well, and those little 100% citrus oil air freshener sprays at least have a powerful orange smell. We survived until we got our washer and dryer hooked up...barely.
This is either Kansas or Oklahoma. No offense to Oklahoma, but you look the same as Kansas. But hey, look! Windmills!
This is Oklahoma, just outside of Tulsa, a random big lake we went past without knowing it was there. It's a state park. Sometime when you don't have toddlers in the car, maybe you want to stop and see it.
This is a blurry, bug-spattered picture through the windsheild of a grain silo that says "Welcome to Texas". It was sunset on our last day. We got into our new town about 9:30, and boy we were glad for the relative freedom and mobility of a hotel room, even if the entire hotel was populated with Japanese tourists and National Guard. (Thank you for your service, Guardsmen.)
The furniture (including a new couch, the edge of which you can kinda see in the bottom left corner) made it to the new house. The Husband is taking a well-deseved rest here with Littleman after the first day of his new job. That's a glass of iced tea at his elbow, appropriate since it hit 85F here today. (Not kidding.)
But you should have seen what it looked like earlier today. (That's Spongebob on the TV, on the way to flipping to March Madness, which we can finally watch, woohoo!)
It's called a "pendant chandelier" and it's above my front door in the foyer. I didn't know I had it until we got here. Isn't it cute?
(To recap for those who haven't been following the blog: I let the Husband pick out a house all by his onesie. Thus, the first time I laid eyes on my new house was after we had purchased it, and I had to make decisions about where stuff went for the movers. An exercise in flexibility, to say the least. Everything about the house is amazing, so far.)
And again...you should have seen it earlier...you can picture it with stuff put away and no baby bassinet, right? (Littleman naps near me, because the house is so soundproof it's hard to hear him in the boy's room.)
A perk of living in the South: Krispy Kremes are fresh down here, and they are very good. (The humidity monitor behind them says that the humidity is at 67%. Believe it. I haven't had dry lips since I got here, and my hair won't stay flat even if I spackle it.)
Another southern perk: sweet tea. (Do not call it "sweetened" tea. It just isn't done, apparently.) I am figuring out how to make it. A downside: having to put bread in the fridge so it doesn't go mushy. An oddity: living in a "dry county" and having to go to Arkansas to buy beer for a thirsty crew of box-unpacking relatives on St. Patrick's Day.
A further oddity: a toose (or a gurkey), which is what we are calling a bird we saw at the park that looks like it has the head and body of a turkey with the webbed feet of a goose. They hung out with the geese and swam. Does anyone know what they are?
God is faithful, and what's more He gives you all kinds of unexpected and undeserved benefits.
Cheers,
Breanna
P.S.
More on Lent soon as well, and thoughts on the Stations of the Cross. It's really difficult to fast from rich food in restaurants. I had suspected going into Lent that it would be more difficult to keep myself from complaining, and then I read this book by Jerry Bridges that pointed out that complaining and also any speech that tears down another person is sin. It is very difficult to keep from fussing about other people, particularly if you include incompetent cable guys and people in line ahead of you at the hotel breakfast buffet who take all the sausage.
More soon. In the meantime, try the link to the Way of the Cross above. It's a good meditation, and puts the sausage-hogs into a lot of perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment