Forgive the dark photos. It's been dim as a Batman movie all day today, what with twisters and rain and the cheapness of a mother who doesn't want to turn on the overhead lights in the daytime.
That's right--birthday written for today, and the other exciting thing on my calendar is "rack mead" (i.e., put in bottles) on Friday. It doesn't seem super proper to do on the most solemn fast day of the liturgical year, but we aren't drinking it, just putting it in bottles. Time and fermentation wait for no man.
How does one fast on Good Friday if one is a nursing mother, you may ask? One has Hot Cross Buns for breakfast, peanut butter sammiches for lunch, and something meatless for supper. One wracks one's brain to think of a meatless German dish before deciding red beans and rice are more apt to one's surroundings. Ditto for Holy Saturday, excepting that it's lentil stew instead of beans.
One is heartily thankful for the marinated lamb scheduled for Holy Thursday and the ham waiting for Easter.
One is not fasting on Wednesday because the Lord saw fit to put a birthday here.
I found a birthday cake without eggs, which has the lovely advantage of making the bowl lickable. We enjoyed ourselves.
The cups are full of...
...icing. It is banana-tofu-peanut butter-honey-vanilla, which I made not in a fit of vegan healthfulness but because Buddy loves bananas. It's a real recipe out of the same cookbook as the awesome eggless chocolate cake.
However, the icing is more of a glaze--runny, a smoothie-like consistency. Thus, after "frosting" the cake with smoothie, I put the extra in cups and let the kids drink up. Luckily it tastes really good. (An advantage of tofu is that it just absorbs the taste of whatever you mix it with.)
One of these days I will accept that I should just buy a cake/cake mix/tub of frosting like everyone else.
Candle pictures when I get them. :)
Cheers,
Breanna
1 comment:
Ok. You made Auntie Kenny cry. Happy Birthday to Buddy! Wish we could be there.
Kindra.
Post a Comment