Turkish: Why did you throw away my milk?
Tommy: Because milk-drinking isn't in sync with evolution. Cows have only been domesticated for the last 6000 years. Before that they were runnin 'round mad as lorries. Humans aren't designed to drink milk. I just did you a favor.
--Snatch
There was this game we used to play when I was young that involved one person quoting a movie, with or without accent depending on how difficult you were making it, and everyone else would try to guess which movie. Occasionally this got esoteric like when we'd say, "Dude" and have to figure out whether the quote was from Bill & Ted or some other show. (Accents helped there.)
The problem with this game is that I am haunted by movie ghosts. Literally for almost every situation a movie line pops into my head, and sometimes almost uncontrollably quivers on my lips. I learned to control this in nursing school, when the lines were invariably inappropriate (as in, the patient would not have found it funny) and also because nobody else would have understood what on earth I was talking about.
So I include this long intro and the quote above, from Snatch (a movie that you should not know, you bad person, if you are snickering--it's violent and has swears and is not for houses with kids in them, although it's occasionally hilarious) so that you can understand why, when looking at my dear, sweet children, the first thing that popped into my head was Tommy saying "mad as lorries".
Indeed, my kids are running around mad as lorries this afternoon. This is partly because they had no naps, and partly, I think, because they sense that soon I'll be holding a little person more or less constantly and they will have to give up using me for scaffolding, which will put a kink in their day. They've been climbing on me more lately to make up for it.
So there you are, a new phrase for you, to be said in a British accent if you can pull it off. (By the way, my research shows lorries to be pickup trucks, so I think the phrase isn't foul or anything.)
Hopefully we'll be a little less pickup-y tomorrow.
Cheers,
Breanna
1 comment:
"Five minutes, Turkish." -- one of my favorite lines from that show. Also: "Anything to declare?" (going through customs) "Yes. Don't go to England."
Most of the other good quotes from that show only make sense in context or are inappropriate. Still a great show, though.
Post a Comment