Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Before the Storm

Not, probably, a literal storm this time.

You may have noticed that I try not to use this blog as a way to record my own feelings, mostly because I find blogs about other people's feelings ("Gee, I was really bummed by Dancing With the Stars last night, because I wanted her to win...and I'm worried about my cats...and a little hungry...") boring.  So although I'm egocentric like all humans and tend to talk a lot about myself, I at least *try* to tie it into something halfway interesting.

This post, on the other hand, is just an exercise in using up time.  For some reason I can't settle down to anything today.  (I'd like to think this is an indication that I'm about to go into labor.  You know, how a mother cat prowls around looking for a nook to have her kittens in?)  I tried to read, but foolishly enough picked Chesterton.  Since I have the attention span of a toddler today, that made about as much sense as giving Buddy a stained-glass project to work on.

There isn't any housework that needs doing per se.  I have done the upkeep bits, like load the dishwasher, as they occur, but I can't settle down to that either.

I've tried knitting and I just keep making mistakes that have to be taken out.

In short, today I've got that feeling that you might have experienced before a big thunderstorm.  You look around yourself outside and see the leaves of the plants turned up into cups, anticipating the rain.  The air is charged, the clouds are big, but it's not windy yet.  The storm is coming, but it hasn't arrived, and until it gets there you walk around feeling like you ought to run around, punch something or hide in a cellar.

It's a very uncomfortable place to be, especially pregnant with no housework to do.  I'd like to either be able to settle down, or to start running and punching things (i.e., begin labor already).

Is there any large moral lesson to be drawn from this?

Nope, at least not right now, because I can't settle enough to articulate it.  This is self-indulgent time-killing.  You're welcome.

Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: