Monday, December 13, 2010

...Off To One Side of Texas!

Pee Wee: No, really Dottie, I'm in Texas!  Here, I'll prove it.  (Leans out of phone booth into crowded cafe.)  The stars at night are big and bright--

Everyone in cafe: (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
--PeeWee's Big Adventure



....Only we'll be so near the border we'll be barely in the state, so I'm not sure that will work--we'd have to sing, like the title, "Off to One Side of Texas!" but I will confess that the first thing I thought of when it was confirmed that we are moving was, "I wonder if I could do that in the grocery store...just to see if it would work."

The second thing I thought of was "AAAAAHHHAHAH!" and the third thing was "I'm so proud of the Husband", because the reason we're moving is that he has officially been recognized by the company as an Up And Comer.  The plant where we are going is the biggest plant in the company--cost half a billion dollars to build--and is brand-new, and they want Capable People to make sure the thing starts making money right away.  So they picked him, naturally.  (I say; I have always known I married a Capable Person.)

This is all exciting and everything and I'm trying to focus on the positives and not let the unknowns...or some of the knowns...get my pregnant mind going too much.

For instance, there is the whole living-in-the-south thing.  I'm sure it will be great, but I've never done it before, and I only know two ways to fix grits.  I suspect that living somewhere with actual *humidity* will require me to be more persnickety about hanging up towels and putting flour from the bag into a bin.  I might even have to refrigerate my bread.

Then there's the wildlife-where-there-is-no-snow thing; the Husband informs me that they have alligators there.  And wild boars.  And possums.  And such.

It can't be worse than having wolves and weasles and rattlesnakes, right?  And I'm pretty sure that unless we have a water feature in the yard (cross that off list right now) that the alligators wouldn't come into a suburban residential area and eat the dog.  I hope.  Maybe we'll study repitles for our January preschool/kindergarten/keep 'em busy topic.

But I'm exaggerating to be funny (mostly--there really are gators); I think there will be a lot of advantages, too, like having these mysterious things I read about online called Ethnic Grocery Stores and being only a couple of hours from Dallas, should we want to go to a football game in that huge big stadium.

Expect a lot of moving-type posts on this blog, in short; perhaps I'll hit on some amazing organizational techniques to share with you all.  So far I've done two things--make a moving binder to hold all my lists, and inventory the Little Pantry and the Big Pantry so we can use up our stored food.  (You know anyone who wants 20 lbs of pinto beans, 5 lbs of salt and 10 lbs of cornmeal?  Who isn't a grizzled 1860s prospector?)  The inventory was a good idea, because it pointed out I've got a lot of little goodies like pudding mix and dried fruit that I'd kinda forgotten about.  We'll be living high on the hog until we move.

Miss Boo thinks Texas is about an hour away; Buddy could care less, having as much concept of geography as he does of political science.  Here's hoping they find the house-hunting plane trip exciting and not horrible...but I figure that all those other people on the plane will only know me for two hours anyway, and if I bring along enough Starbucks gift cards, maybe the people surrounding us won't lynch us on the tarmac.

Did I mention that we won't be (midwife's orders) househunting until Littleman is born?  So yes, I'll be nursing on the plane.  New experiences all around.

Cheers,

Breanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know any 1860's prospectors but I know a few scroungy backwoodsmen who would take your stuff...

Kindra