Wednesday, November 19, 2008

You're a Mean One, Mr. Dawkins

Christmas thoughts are starting early for me this year, since I'm already doing some shopping.

Ok, for some reason my pictures loaded in reverse order that I wanted. So I will have to be more creative about the captions. First of all, here is the final destination... (with a camera strap hanging over the picture)...of any toys bought for this little girl....



that look like THIS....

And no, that isn't Lindsey Lohan, bless her screwed up little heart. THAT abomination is a hooker *ahem* sorry, a Bratz doll. Apparently they are all the rage this year. I think, given that they are marketed to six-year-olds, that the world's gone mad. Oh well. Fair warning to all ya'll who might have been thinking about giving one to Miss Boo.

Next, do you see the resemblance?




Shocking, isn't it? Don't know why no one has picked up on it before now. :)
The context is that Richard Dawkins, the grinch look-alike and the "bulldog of Darwinism", is the wealthiest and most famous contributor to an ad campaign being run by secular humanists in England (and copied by secular humanists in Washington D.C.). The ads are apparently on buses, and say, "There's probably no God. So stop worrying and have a good time." The logic for doing it this time of year is that, since secular humanists don't celebrate Christmas, Chaunukah, or presumably Festivus, they "feel alone during the holidays".


Apparently they are a bit miffed that the religious community is looking on this with amused toleration. I feel kind of bad for them, that nobody's getting upset or hysterical. Kind of like when the three-year-old you're babysitting, finding that his clever ploy of "my mom lets me eat ice cream before bed" has failed, brings out the nuclear weapon: "I hate you!" To which you reply, "that's great, but you still have to go to bed". Oh the deflation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not minimizing the bitterness that some atheists feel or belittling those who are honestly intellectually convinced that there is no God. I think they're wrong, but calling them dumb isn't going to solve anything and anyway they're interesting to talk to. However, I think Dawkins is an interesting case because of an interveiw I saw with him. The interviewer was asking how Dawkins thought about the origin of life. Dawkins replied that while a Creator, of course, was out of the question, "A higher being or intelligence might have seeded life onto our planet from space. Though they would have to be explainable, of course." (By "explainable" I take it he means "evolved somewhere else in an undefined fashion.")


What I don't understand is, how is "a higher intelligence seeding life onto the earth" any different from the ancient Baal worshipers's idea that Baal rode around the sky in a chariot spitting on the earth and making people and animals and crops? (Actually Baal did worse than spit, but for the sake of keeping this blog G rated, he spits.)


So, poor Richard Dawkins. Pray for him this Christmas, because he'll be feeling alone, and like he wasted his bus money.


In other news, I've gotten quite a bit of Christmas shopping done. But a lot of you who are presumably reading this are terribly hard to buy for, so I'm afraid you're all getting new combs. (Just kidding. I hope.) I am trying to be terribly creative and also not give people clutter. So! If you get something interesting, consider yourself fore-warned and know you have my permission to actually use the gift reciept.


Ciao,

Breanna

2 comments:

Steve said...

I wasn't planning on getting one for miss Boo, but I might consider it because I would love to see one go through the blender :)

Breanna said...

Food processor. Has bigger blades. >:D