Monday, June 18, 2012

No Chance


The thing is I didn't know Dire Straits did this song, but, you know, this is cool to discover.  (I thought it was Mary Chapin Carpenter's.)



It's a little play on words - "The Bug" in this case refers to a stomach bug that swept through our house shortly after Grammy and Baba left.

The title of the blog refers to the fact that nothing happens via chance or luck in our lives; this is what the sovereignty of God means.

When you come right down to it, most people don't doubt God's existence.  They doubt His goodness.  So we explain things as being chance - these things just happen; sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.  It seems easier that way.

Until something really bad happens.  (Not like the stomach flu; that's not in the category of bad I'm discussing; it just got me thinking about all this.)

Then the all-knowing, all-powerful wisdom of God--and faith in His perfect goodness--are what make the dreadful something we can stand.  (They also, you know, happen to be facts.)  Because if I lose someone, or I lose my life's work, or I see something important to me ruined, and I believe that it happened because God lets the universe run on chance, then I really will despair--because the suffering then is for nothing.

But if I know that the Lord is in control of all my days, that He intends good for me and not evil, and that He really is God--with a perspective so eternal that I can't comprehend it--then I can at least know that I am not suffering for nothing.  Even from a stomach flu--but from bigger things as well.

Here's my hope.  By practicing on stuff like stomach flu, fussy kids, and low-sleep days--and the mountains and mountains of emergency laundry produced by things like this--I can learn faith and patience so that I can respond how He would have me respond if His plans involve harder stuff.

I would rather they didn't, of course.  But that's another reason to be faithful in these little things--what if this stomach flu is the only opportunity I ever have to show that I trust Him?

How will you trust Him today, with the little and big stuff?

Cheers,

Breanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SLADE: What was that?
JULIAN: The warning shot.
SLADE: Warning shot? You think a warning shot's going to scare me?
JULIAN: (with a giggle) It should...it's actually lodged about six inches in your tummy!
--- Wagons East

Baba