Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Couple of Good Articles

Sharon Astyk is a writer I like.  I don't agree with her on everything; she thinks, for instance, that we're probably only a couple years from running out of oil, global warming making life very icky, and some other things.  I don't know.  These things *could* happen, but I don't worry much about them.

Rather, I read her because she's interested in things that I'm interested in for different reasons: pantries, making clothes last longer, controlling more of the things you consume, cleaning up your own messes, etc.

I really enjoyed this article, "Just Not Made That Way", which pretty much destroys the handy "but I'm just not good at mending clothes/cleaning bathrooms/watching kids" excuse.  Which always drives me crazy: if you're not good at it, you need practice, not a pass.  Besides, what's to learn about washing dishes?  You have the hot water, the soap, the dishes, and the rag.  If you can figure out an iPhone, you can figure out dishwashing.  (Or knitting.  Or making yogurt.)

It's alright to admit "I don't like washing dishes, I would rather trade you the dishes for making all the beds" or some such.  But "I just can't get good at it" won't cut ice in my house, mister/missy.

And this one, "Zombie Shopping" should actually be printed out and stuck in the back of your binder or wherever you keep recipies.  For future hurricane/social unrest/zombie attack/blizzard shopping.  Seriously--if you love me, keep the list, ok?

Cheers,

Breanna

P.S. I AM going to get the pictures up soon. :)

No comments: