Friday, April 19, 2013

Loving Our Enemies

--Matthew 5:43-48

I always wonder about their mothers.

The first time was when there was a triple homicide in the town where we lived; a mother and her two kids were killed and their house was set on fire.  For weeks the police couldn't find who did it, and we hoped that when they found "the guy" that he would get the death penalty.  And surely, death is deserved for such a horrible, evil act.

Then they found the murderer--a 16-year-old girl who had been a babysitter for the family, who was turned in by her own mother.

And all I could think about was that mother, having to drive home from the jail.  I still pray for her.

I felt that way again when saw the picture this morning of the youngest of the two brothers that planted the bombs in Boston.  He's 19; he looks so young.  Am I saying he shouldn't have to pay for doing something so wicked, because he's 19?  Not at all.  But I can't stop thinking about his mother, about when this bomber was a little boy, a baby the same age as my baby.  What happened to him between then and now?  What makes a happy baby into a cold-blooded murderer?  He's got to pay for his crimes, but how I wish someone could have stopped him--saved him.  How I wish someone could have saved that 16-year-old murderess.

And then it occurs to me that this is how God must feel, looking at us.

We love our enemies not because they deserve it.  By definition, an enemy is someone who has hurt us or who wants to hurt us.  An enemy is a bad guy.  We are told to love them because that's how God loves us--He loves us even though we were rebels against Him, His enemies.  This makes no sense, does it?  Why does He love us when we behave the way we do?

Likewise, prayer for these men--our enemies, bad, wicked, evil men--does not make sense, does it?  But you see above that the Lord Himself tells us to do it.  I don't think He meant just tiny enemies, or enemies that don't kill anyone, or enemies that haven't broken the law.  I think He meant all of them.

So how can we pray for men like Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?

Well, we can certainly pray that he is caught.  "Getting away" with his crimes here on earth is not beneficial for his soul.  Justice needs to be served.

We can pray that he doesn't die when the police and FBI get him, in order that he can be questioned (so that others will be protected, if there are more people connected with these attacks) and so he has a last chance to hear and accept the Gospel.

We can pray that he doesn't hurt anyone else.

And we can pray for his eternal salvation.

Do I want to pray these things?  Not really.  I'd like revenge.  An 8-year-old was among those murdered during the marathon.  I'd like Tsarnaev to die, preferably in as much pain and terror as he caused his victims.

But I'm a Christian, and I've been commanded to love him and pray for him, even though he's an evil man.  This is one of the distinctives of Christianity.  Christ forgave the men who nailed him to the cross.  He forgave Judas.  The martyrs in ancient Rome forgave the men who tied them up and turned the lions loose.  Can we do less and call ourselves Christians?

(Note that none of this means that we are against justice being served.  Even if every single one of my prayers above were answered, that wouldn't mean that Tsarnaev shouldn't get the death penalty.  I do believe that when you take lives, your life is forfeit--and I have Biblical backup for that.)

So.

I encourage you to pray for the police and the residents of Boston, that no one else will be hurt today.  Pray for the medical personnel who are dealing with the wounded from the marathon and the noble, wounded policeman from today.  Pray for the family of the police officer who was murdered earlier today.

And pray for the murderer, and for his mother.



Breanna


P.S.
I am aware that I'm asking you to do a difficult thing, and it's okay if you feel like you can't.  I just felt led to post this today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I weep for the Mamas and the babies that were. It makes it easier to muscle through prayers that you don't really feel like saying.

-Kindra