Monday, December 10, 2012

Two Weeks to Christmas

I did it!

This morning I got the last, last of the Christmas presents done.  Well, except for the stocking stuff.  But one can't exactly buy oranges on Amazon and have them shipped free.  (Yet.)  Thank goodness for Amazon.  Seriously, it's been a blessing to me this year.  I can find almost exactly anything I desire, and have them wrap it, and have them ship it (for free) with my Prime membership.  (End of Amazon.com commercial.)

How is your Christmas going?  I discovered yesterday that I'll be having a fuller house come Christmas than I thought, which is awesome, but which is going to take some serious list-making.  I'll give you the same survey questions that I gave my Facebook friends list, because I have to decide these things and everyone else at my house right now is saying "I dunno, whatever YOU think" which doesn't help.

1. Roast beef tenderloin or roast turkey?

2. If I make stollen, is three kinds of cookies enough, or should I branch out?  The Husband's opinion is three kinds, just lots and lots of them.

And one special question, just for you lovely blog people:

3. Would you be bothered if you didn't have something different for breakfast every single day?  Like could you possibly live with yourself, eating bagels twice during a trip?

4. Would you be offended if I asked you to drop everything and stack firewood with me, should the Wood Guy decide to arrive just before/after Christmas?

5. Does anyone really like eggnog?  Especially when you can have mulled wine?

You can see the sorts of things that are occupying my mind, now that presents are out of the way.  The kids have dentist's appointments today, all three of them, so when that's over I'll be able to sit down and plot out my week(s).  It's only two of them I have left, people.

On Wednesday, we have another appointment.  (Not dental, social.)  On Friday, we're having a wood stove put in.  (It's very pretty---I'll post pictures!)  On Saturday, we're roping in Uncle Markie to take a picture of us that we can give to the people to whom we owe pictures.  Sunday, hopefully, the Wood Guy will not show up and we can go to church.  And then, ladies and gents, we'll be down to the wire.

I hope your Christmas preps are going well, and that you can now and then think (employing ACTIVE contemplation, of course, because who has time to stop?) about how hectic things must have been for Mary and Joseph.  Can you imagine Mary, getting to the end of her first pregnancy and wondering if every twinge means This Is It, being told by Joseph: "Guess what, honey?  We have to travel to Bethlehem.  By foot/donkey."  I know that jouncing and walking can bring on labor, but she could be forgiven for not being overjoyed at the prospect.

And then the only place to stay is a barn/cave, probably with a lot of other people.  We think of Mary as being this sweet, gentle little thing, and I'm sure she was, but having a baby in a barn, with strangers, after travelling for miles--she was one tough lady, too.

So, in the days ahead I'm going to try to keep in mind: Hey, at least I'm not having a baby in an unheated barn in front of a bunch of strangers!  With shepherds showing up, asking to see my baby, before I've even had a chance to sleep!  Really, I've got it pretty easy.  All I have to do is try to keep my mind on Him.

Cheers,

Breanna

No comments: