...we ate for a week without buying any groceries except milk and eggs. Ate well, I might say.
We sort of cheated Saturday night, because we up and decided to attend the Saturday evening service that our new church offers. (It's a whole service, just Saturday night at 5:30 instead of Sunday morning at 11:00. The kids were in a better mood that night than we thought they would be in the morning.)
Anyway, turned out that Communion was being served at the evening service, which I hadn't anticipated so all I had were lifesavers and sippies of water, and I'm trying to whisper to Miss Boo during the songs that Communion is for grownups and that she's not to talk or ask for any of the Elements. Buddy I tried to distract with clicky pens.
Miss Boo got really quiet when they began to serve Communion, and actually sat with folded hands and big eyes and didn't ask for a juice cup or anything. It was amazing. (Grace of God--I had nothing to do with it, I've tried before.)
So, as a reward, and because all I had planned for supper was steak sandwiches anyway, we got Wendy's on the way home--it was only 6:30 when church let out. So that was our cheating.
Otherwise, here's what we had:
Breakfasts: either cornmeal mush, eggs and toast, or (once) eggs and fried mush, on saturday we had pancakes.
Lunches: mostly leftovers; one day we had PB&J.
Dinners:
M: Salmon gratinee (sounds fancier than "salmon noodle stuff with a white sauce"), applesauce, and green beans
T: Steak, potato salad, baked beans, applesauce
W: Beef tongue with raisin sauce, green beans, noodles
Th: Chicken with cheesy rice and peas
F: Prime rib with baked potatoes and salad (this was our anniversary)
S: Wendy's :)
Sunday: Steak sandwiches, applesauce
Having a freezer of beef helps, obviously. And a bumper crop of apples last year.
Does this inspire you? Go plan your non-shopping menu.
Cheers,
Breanna
No comments:
Post a Comment